Ian's Journal

Ryan's Journal

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Woo Family

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Making "Bing Pi" Mooncake

This's my first time to make "Bing Pi" mooncake.  It was strongly recommended by the lady from Polymart Bakery shop.  I bought a packet of the "Bing Pi" mooncake mix and I've chosen the green tea lotus paste (my favourite).  Besides, I bought a cartoon mooncake mould, it consisted of 6 cartoons (Mickey, 2 Hello Kitty, Doremon, Pooh).  I should buy the seeds to mix with the filling, but I didn't, I just thought of trying only, will definitely put it in next time.

I cannot believe how simple I can make this at home.  A bit of kneading to do (a bit oily and messy).  The experience was really amazing.  Initially, I did not get it right, but since the dough is so flexible, I can always reshape it into a ball (try your best to keep the filling inside) and try to press out again.

Surprisingly, Ian also made it in his kindergarten and brought one home, I'm so impressed... 

Mid-Autumn is around the corner, and thinking of buying few boxes of mooncakes will easily cost more than RM200.  This is really a cost effective way.


Ingredients:
  • 1 pack Mooncake premix @ RM9.50
  • 1 pack Green Tea Mung Bean Paste @ RM11.50
  • 70g shortening
  • Some water
  • Flavouring – Vanila essence
  • Mould – Plastic Bing Pi Mould @ RM8.90
Method: (dough)
  1. Add the shortening and water to the premix
  2. Knead till you feel it’s elastic
  3. Cover and let it rest in fridge for 30 min
Filling:
-roll them into balls.
There is variety of filling/paste to choose

How to shape the mooncake
  1. Divide ready cold dough into balls. Press them flat.
  2. Wrap the filling with your dough.
  3. Shape them into balls before putting them carefully into your mould.
  4. Press them out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails